Translate

26 December, 2013

War is Over . . . If You Want It, and the Cunning Fennec Fox



26 December 2013

1052 hrs



Dear and Patient Readers,


            I certainly hope that all of you folks, Christians (xians) and non-xians alike, had a great and wonderful day, yesterday.  I myself do not celebrate xmas . . .  I am not a xian.  Remember, not everyone celebrates it, you know.  When I was little, say around 7 years old, I learned that there was no Santa Claus . . . but I was sort of suspicious, anyway.  Years earlier, let’s say I was 3 or 4 (yes, I have memories that date back to when I was 2- verified!) I crept downstairs one xmas eve and saw the old man munching down the cookies we left for Santa.  He drank the milk, too.  I protested, but he assured me that Santa said it was cool . . .  I began to wonder.  Why would a man, whose belly shook like a bowl full of jelly, pass up Oreos and a glass of milk?  Didn’t make any sense.


            Well, after I stopped believing in a fat red dude
that traversed the planet and gave all the ankle-biters shit they made a list for a few weeks earlier, it just wasn’t any fun anymore.  (We still exchanged presents for a few years after that; I always got books, which I appreciated more than toys or whatever else.)  But there was no tree; no more stockings hung by the chimney with care . . .



         The Old Boy would still put on xmas records- yeah, we had records in the olden days, but, and please don't take this the wrong way, Patient Readers out there who are The Children of Abraham,  I always thought it odd that his favorites were those recorded by Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand.  Why would two Jewish cats make xmas albums?  I didn’t get it.




            My best friend in the whole wide world, Rob- whom I have not seen or heard from since 1996 (some best friend, huh?) used to call me a Grinch, which I admit, kinda hurt.


            I don’t think he understood that there are some folks who don’t celebrate xmas.  Not just non-xians, but I think everyone who is sick of the commercialization of the holidays are so burned out on the idea that it seems corrupted for good.  This is part of the reason.


            I still get asked why I don’t celebrate xmas and easter (Yule and Oestre- ancient pagan rituals stolen by The Church); as if the idea never occurred to anyone but me.  I mention the, er, aforementioned commercialization, and I always hear, Oh yeah . . . but blah blah blah . . .






            I wonder why some folks choose to be kind(er) to one another this time of year.  Why is that so?  Why can’t folks do this year-round?


            Anyway, I don’t write anything here that y’all have never heard before.  Suffice it to say, that people like Rob need to know that xians don’t corner the market on morality.  Some of the rest of us have a stake in the maintenance of society and civilization, whether we want to or not.  I am pragmatic.  I am somewhat anti-social (sociopathic?) and I know y’all are saying,


            No way . . .  

        but ‘tis true.  But I still understand that we all have to work together to make this whole thing work, even if it’s for just a little while longer.


            I have an on-going, deep conversation with my newest friend, an English professor, in which I stick to the point that Mankind is inherently bad.  Bad is our default position.  Humans are the worst thing that ever happened to this planet, and I am certain every one of you agrees with the statement.  But we are the only ones, the only species that has the ability to change that.  We and only we can make the world a better place.  Only humans can fix that which it is we have broken.  


Yet we choose not to.  Why is that?  Why do we sit back and watch all of the wars, and pollute the air and land and sea?


A xian buddy of mine believes that we can run Earth into the, uh, ground, and it’s all good.  The reason is because no matter what we do, we cannot destroy the planet.  The reason for that is because God won’t let us.  Only he can do that.  The bible tells him so.


Well what the fuck?  Does he not see that the world and all of us are broken?  But back to the conversation with my erudite new buddy:


We almost agree, she and I, about the state of man.  She believes that humans are nice to one another; that kindness is what most of us exude toward others.  Even a majority, she says, do that.


I say that there are persons who do indeed do good deeds.  Without a doubt there is sacrifice and compassion and philanthropy, sometimes even on grand scales.  But is that really the majority of us?  Sure could be . . .  but is it?


And what about the old Push Comes To Shove business?  I still insist that selfishness and just good old fashioned Badness is our default.  It is how we are wired.  A million years ago we would scramble up a tree and watch the lame and old and slow and unaware of our little clan or tribe or whatever become lion shit.


Help . . .  help! surely they would scream in whatever proto-glot we used way back then.  I seriously doubt the majority of us climbed off that branch to rescue our furry brother from those fucking fangs!  Holy shit have you seen those things in the museum?  Or even the modern cats on Animal Planet and Nat Geo (back when those channels actually showed documentaries instead of reality shows)?  


Can you imagine what it was like when we had to follow the game across the veldt so that we might eat throughout the seasons?  And we had to cross what is now the Zambezi or some other treacherous river, just as the wildebeest and zebra do to this very day?  Does anyone out the really think that for the majority of us it was not everyone for their own damn selves?


Every creature on the planet, by instinct, wants to survive.  We have to, at least long enough to pass on our genes to the next generation and do our bit to propagate the species.  Sure, there were some, maybe many even, who waded back into the waters to pull out someone.  And as much as I malign the damage we as a species have done, how mean we are to one another, I would still perform CPR on someone who was unfortunate enough to fall.  I have done so many times with people having seizures.  Not the CPR part, but I did come to their aid.
   By the way, if you see someone having a seizure, don’t call an ambulance- make sure he or she can breathe and move objects out of the way so there is no flailing into them- and maybe put something soft between the head and the concrete.  You don’t know how many patients, some of them on a limited income, come around in the ER, get released (because, except for the very rare instance of status epilepticus, all you see ER staff do is watch), and then they receive a $1000 ambulance bill a few days later.


But I, as per usual, digress . . .  Shall I get back to my boring-ass rant?  Splendid!


I would, and have, jumped into the fray when someone has gone down.  Sometimes one or two others joined me.  Many, when it happened in the hospital where I worked.  But on the street . . .  do you know how many just stood by and watched?  Do you know how many just kept on going with barely a glance?  Do you all know the story of Kitty Genovese, in NYC?




This, ladies and gentlemen, Dear and Patient Readers, is not our fault; it is our default (are y’all tired of me saying that?).  We can stop it no more than we can prevent the sun from setting.  


            So I have a plan, and it’s not original- it’s a good ‘un, though:  Lets’ all try to be nice to one another.  I know we are all broken, and I know we all hurt sometimes.  I know some of us hurt a little more than others, but we all feel pain.  Let’s ease another’s suffering as best as we can.  Through compassion and understanding.  Through the attenuation of bad desires and through thoughts that are good and necessary. 



            We will never fix the world, because we will not.  I firmly believe this.  Samsara is broken; a comminuted fracture beyond titanium screws and Harrington rods.  But if some of us try to make our corner of the world in which we’re living, then maybe we can stave off the Apocalypse a little while longer.


            Most of you think me mad; I can live with that . . .  I already live with madness, but I am sane enough to know that we can push down our sorrow and find the will to keep moving forward.  We owe to ourselves.  We owe it to the planet.  I don’t believe it will get too much better, but I dare you to make me wrong.



            So I guess that’s all I have to say for now, Patient Reader.  I am expecting an envelope from a friend that contains more of my stories, and as soon as I get them I will post them here.  I suppose I could rewrite them, but I like them the way they are and of course, they are not saved on the old HP here.


            I have also begun a novel, again, and I will tell you how it is progressing from time to time.  With school starting up in 2 weeks, I wonder if I’ll even have the time . . .


            So for now I bid you adieu; I wish for all of you the very best you can squeeze out of this shithole; a shithole that is priceless, worth fighting for, and most importantly of all, the only fucking one we have.  NOW that's all I have to say . . .


Always,




The Cunning Fennec Fox . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment