Translate

10 April, 2014

Fonda and the Cunning Fennec Fox

7 April 2014
0756 hrs



10 April 2014
0819 hrs
           Well, Dear and Patient Reader . . .

            I hope you have found the last few posts interesting, at least.  As is quite obvious, I have been in a reflective mood, and I really don’t know if that is good or bad.  I do know that it just is, and that I need to go with it whenever it pulls me away.

            Yeah, I used to fight it; one could see the gouges in the hallways of my mind as Mnemosyne dragged me unwillingly down them to some long-ignored abattoir or oubliette.

            What was I to do?  I became weary of the fight and now I let her take me by the hand and we show one another the little vignettes, muted in color, mostly; dark and sad in many; far too few in bright sunniness. 

            Anyway, I haven’t much run into anything against which I wish to rail and rage.  So I remember, and I write.  

            Spring is near and I think of Fonda and her death-day, 30 Mar, and I realize she has been dead 17 years.  25 April would have been her 45th birthday, but she was not allowed to see 30 because she was good and the good do not deserve to be here too long.  BuyBull god sees to that.


            So I begin to tell you of my dear friend.  She was a woman who knew I loved her, but never heard me say the words, because I am bad, and the bad live forever, filled with regret.

Shall I proceed to tell you of her?  Do you not mind more introspective melancholia that is becoming my memoir?  Splendid!



Fonda and the Cunning Fennec Fox

Part I


My Karma Ran Over Your Dogma . . .



            The cool marble floors of my mind lead past many hard and silent walls; down dark yet comforting corridors, and pause outside the rooms of my memory, waiting.  Some of these doors require knocking; some of them knock back . . .

            The door to Fonda’s room is hard and beautiful.  I made it blue, bright and aquamarine, the colors seen in dreams or sunsets, perhaps.  Blue was in her eyes; blue lived, sometimes in her mind; blue is the color I painted her heart.

            Were there really angels, they would have envied the love that Fonda deserved.

             If only I could have given it . . .

            The blue of Fonda’s door is brilliant, as her mind was brilliant.  Had I been born without sight, her mind would still be Venus in my heart.  I would feel the warmth of her thoughts on my face like the sun. 

            The door is cool and strong.  The door and my memory can keep Fonda safe. 

            I enter this room as little as possible.  I have oiled this lock and these hinges with my warm, salty tears over these long years, and still the lock sticks . . . still these hinges scream. 

            I come to this door, this memory, because someone asked it of me, and because it is time to visit my old friend. 

            I hope the Fonda I have kept safely in this room is a fair and just representation of one of the loveliest women I have ever known. 

            It will be good, I think, to visit this room again, and for my sins, I am allowed to. 

***

            I met Fonda outside the gift shop of the hospital where I taught third-year neurology residents how to read electroencephalography.  Though we rode down the elevator together, it was only outside the gift shop we introduced ourselves. 

            She was surprised that I did not think it odd, her medical status.  She was twenty-two years old and admitted as an inpatient in a children’s hospital. 

            I noticed the pajamas she wore down to the lobby; baby blue men’s style top and bottoms.  Tiny pink teddy bears appeared as polka dots from a distance.  Flip-flops.  The J-shaped heparin lock in the fat vein on the back of her hand taped, fastened fast.

            She became short of breath when she spoke for too long without a rest.  She coughed periodically.  She had cystic fibrosis. 

            CF is a disease of cruel genetics; both parents must carry the allele on their genes in order for the child to develop it.  Since the disease manifests in childhood, there is no better place to treat for CF than a children’s hospital. 

            As it was a medical school, I bounced around the three hospitals on campus:  The main University Hospital, the Veteran’s Administration Hospital, and the Children’s Hospital.  Most medical schools are set up thusly. 

            I had three patients at the kid’s hospital, and having just completed my charting for the morning, was on my way out the door. 

            This hospital, full of bright colors and staff sporting scrubs and lab coats dotted with animals or clowns, still reeked of melancholia.

            Forced smiles worn on so many faces; it was impossible, for me at least, to ignore the battered hope cowering behind the eyes.

            Sometimes I would catch a mother, in her fatigue, forget her role, staring her thousand-yard stare, lost in the thought of things that which the mother of a sick child should never have to think. 

Too often I have seen the same look in the eyes of patients themselves; those old enough or mature enough to realize their own mortality.  Most could even put a name to the dark spectre lurking in the corners of their hospital rooms.  Looming near the ceiling past the reach of the light; lurking beneath the bed, some haggard and shambling moistness.  Each name is different, depending on the patient, and those not sensitive enough to know Its Name still felt its presence through his or her own pain. 

From time to time I imagine the veil of sanity pulled aside for a moment.  What would I, so envisioned, observe as I wandered the halls of hospitals?  What manner of ghosts and daemons; what pantheon of phantasms- what spectrum of spectres would my weary eyes then see?  Pandemonium, indeed . . . it would be the sight through Pandora’s eyes as she pried open the eponymous Box.

These are the boogeymen that, since the birth of life, horrify us.

People, I think, instinctively know when they are terminal.  There is a moment, long before the doctor reads a scan and sees a smudge and steels herself before coming into the room to speak to the patient; long before the blood work comes back with sorrowful news; long before the ink dries on the EEG tracing that localizes the tumor, that the patient feels his body betraying him.  Feels the cancer is spreading; feels the imminent stroke or the heart failing or the wounds and injuries are too severe to overcome . . . that the body will not heal faster than the overwhelming insult that damages it.  The realization that grinning heartbreak conquers all.


        The Japanese blame their demons, or Oni, for the angry humours of sickness and death.  I blame them on the absence of gods.

       No just and infinitely kind being would allow a child to cry herself to sleep because the waking state hurts so bad.  No wish-granting old man in the sky would make a terminal mother suffer the thought that she has poorly prepared her family for their all-too-soon-to-be loss.  No loving spiritual father would crush his children under the weight of The Lesson.  This life . . .  this fucking TEST.

No omniscient, omnipotent being, an all-encompassing Good, would let cystic fibrosis patients helplessly suffocate in their own mucus.

       The mutated and twisted allele that forces CF to emerge causes the body’s mucus membranes to produce, in an accelerated fashion, an abnormally thick and highly viscous form of the substance.

       The body’s natural lubricant, mucus is supposed to be relatively thin.  Moving along a coated membrane by specialized cells, it carries with it impurities and toxins, constantly flushing out the lungs, upper respiratory structures, and digestive tract.  Think of our runny noses flushing out invasive microbes whenever we are sick with a cold.

       A variant of mucus is solely tasked for pleasure: it is the lubricant that facilitates, through arousal, the act of lovemaking. 

       The thickened mucus of the CF patient expectorates poorly, thereby trapping particulate matter and microbes which then propagate and aggravate the affected, sensitive tissues.

       Infections such as pneumonia are frequent and bronchitis is quite common from chronic coughing.  Scar tissue forms and encroaches upon healthy lung tissue, choking it out like weeds in a garden. 
  
       Alveoli, the structures within the lungs where external respiration occurs (internal respiration occurs at the cellular level; CO2 exchanged for O2 on the red blood cell itself),are shredded by lesions and disease.  Cystic Fibrosis is lethal and terminal.  On the way to The Dark, the patient gasps for air, blue from the cyanosis of hypoxia, drowning in the fluids we, billion-year-old carbon atoms that we are, evolved to save us.

       I used to fish.  My old man taught me that it was cruel to let a caught fish suffer.  “You got to thump him on the head, son . . .  you got to crush his skull.”  So I did, not wanting it to drown in the atmosphere that sustained me. 


       Since meeting Fonda, I had lost all interest in fishing.  Fonda, de facto leader of this Secret Society of Cee Effers.  Perhaps they too, as the pain becomes too great, wish for someone to gird his loins and crush their skulls.

end part i; part ii soon to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment